Cat-on-the-net

Monday, June 7, 2010

Life on a Monday morning....


Monday morning. 6.45am and I start my morning walk for today. A school bus stops alongside Brookside Grove and two girls hop on. Joining their young friends for another day of becoming wiser. As soon as the bus leaves, I see an almost naked man on the other side of the street. No shoes. His pants have the color of the mud on the road. Rasta hair. Or just muddy hair and too long ? He stares ahead and keeps a slow pace. Going nowhere. Coming from nowhere. I wonder : did he ever go to school ? And what will he eat today ? If anything at all.....How does he survive ? From Muguga Green I make my way into School Lane and head towards Sarit Shopping Center. Except for the people that go to the gym early and the askari's at the gate, the shopping center is quiet. Only Java coffee house has opened doors already at 7am and there is a first client : a big fat white guy. Looking at a huge plate with fries and sausages. His way of looking after his health I think. I cross the road on the other side and jog down to Nakumatt Ukay. The lady with the 4 kids is there already. At the corner. Begging for coins from the cars passing by. Its barely 7.30am. What a life. And at the bakery outside Nakumatt Ukay a few early birds are having breakfast. Mandazi and tea. Another ten minutes later I am at home again. With my head full of early impressions....of life. And the way we all live it differently. On a Monday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment